Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Masquerade

Schuyler Van Alen is starting to get more comfortable with her newfound vampire powers, but she still has many unanswered questions. A trip to Italy in search of her grandfather only serves to make things more confusing. What secrets are the leaders of The Committee hiding? Meanwhile, back in New York, preparations are feverishly underway for the famous Four Hundred Ball. In true Blue Blood fashion, the ball is totally fab, complete with masks, and hidden behind this masquerade is a revelation that will change the course of a young vampire's destiny.


The sequel to Blue Bloods, Masquerade, profoundly disappointed me. I really wanted to love it; the story that had started in Blue Bloods was excellent and very promising. But this second novel just wasn’t as good as it could’ve been.

The first few pages made me yawn and flail in a frustrated manner at the same time. The second book debuts several months after the first one’s end. Schuyler and Oliver have traveled to Venice to find Lawrence, as Cordelia had asked them to. There are so many things that could’ve happened during the lost months! I could hardly contain my deception when I realized when Masquerade picked up.

So little interesting things actually happen in this book. Almost nothing otherworldly, that’s for sure. Mimi throws a ball, Schuyler learns to live with her grandfather (that she gets to love very quickly), and Jack and Schuyler date in secret. Honestly, this book bored me. The only vampire-related action is that Lawrence starts teaching Schuyler how to use her extraordinary, out of the norm powers.

By the way, in this book, two horrible things happened to the characters. Schuyler, the protagonist, is discovered to be as strong as an archangel, even if she is only a half-vampire. And Bliss is Schuyler’s hidden sister. Can someone please shoot me? These two things alone pretty much killed all interest I had for this book and made me want to throw it out the window.

I can’t say nothing in this book was good, though, since while the protagonists just do teenager stuff, in the background, a very interesting story is unfolding. The whole Silver Blood story arc is sadly relegated to a minor position as trivial matters seem to be the whole point of this book, but it is nonetheless excellent. If only the focus had been on this, instead of Mimi’s shopping sessions!

The vampire’s immortal background stories that mesmerized me in the first book also more or less disappeared, and we don’t learn as much about the past lives of the individual vampires as we’d like.

The countless descriptions of ball gowns, parties and food kind of made me nauseous, once again. There seems to be more and more as the book goes on, cutting precious space to explain the actual plot.

All in all, Masquerade annoyed me, and I wish Melissa de la Cruz had developed more on the story and background. It is directly aimed at an audience with a taste for clothes and glamour, and I am not in this crowd. I prefer good characters and plot to clothes and parties any day. I will continue reading this series, but am now wary of what might come out of it. I no longer have much hope for it to get any better.
-Aithen

Masquerade by Melissa de la Cruz
Rating : 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

And now, the words are yours!