Saturday, April 10, 2010

The Van Alen Legacy

With the stunning revelation surrounding Bliss's true identity comes the growing threat of the sinister Silver Bloods. Once left to live the glamorous life in New York City, the Blue Bloods now find themselves in an epic battle for survival. Not to worry, love is still in the air for the young vampires of the Upper East Side. Or is it? Jack and Schuyler are over. Oliver's brokenhearted. And only the cunning Mimi seems to be happily engaged.

She did it again. A whole year has passed between Revelations and the Van Alen Legacy, and I was not amused when I read that. So much has happened since Schuyler and Oliver have been on the run, and yet the author skips this potentially interesting developpement?! I swear, I thought it would get even better what happened in the previous book, but I see now it can only get worse.

The whole novel feels like de la Cruz had an epic writer’s bloc but forced herself to write and never got around to rereading herself and make the book better. The whole story arc is slowly lagging along and I don’t think it’s going to get any faster anytime soon.

There is one major problem: this has become your typical GOTTA SAVE THE WORLD!!!11!!ONE!
Yeah.

First of all, the runaway half-vampire is supposedly chassed by dozens of Blue Bloods, and by the dangerous demons too. She is the one who will save the world, after all. Yet her own kind and her enemies are trying to kill her, so she has to run instead of helping them.

Secondly, Schuyler and Jack hook up together... again. To Oliver’s great demise, of course. I wanted to stop reading then and there, but I forced myself to continue.

Little is actually revealed about the plot, apart from the fact that Bliss has Lucifer himself in her body. That nice, sweet girl has the dark prince inside her and he takes over her body from time to time. She speaks with her (dead) boyfriend Dylan in her head, because since she killed him in Revelations, he lives there.

The ending is quite impressive, or could have been if it didn’t involve absolute idiocy on Schuyler’s part and a bonding between Mimi and Jack. Yes, the gown of the bride as well as the clothes of everyone else there was merrily described.

Not many cliffhangers in this book, too, and only my dedication to this blog actually kept me reading. My reading pile is stacking high, and I don’t have time for any bad books like this. Don’t expect me to read the fifth one when it comes out, that would be sheer torture.


-Aithen


The Van Alen Legacy by Melissa de la Cruz
Rating: 6,7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

And now, the words are yours!