Thursday, July 29, 2010

Rainbow Boys

Jason Carrillo is a jock with a steady girlfriend, but he can't stop dreaming about sex...with other guys.

Kyle Meeks doesn't look gay, but he is. And he hopes he never has to tell anyone -- especially his parents.

Nelson Glassman is "out" to the entire world, but he can't tell the boy he loves that he wants to be more than just friends.

Three teenage boys, coming of age and out of the closet. In a revealing debut novel that percolates with passion and wit, Alex Sanchez follows these very different high-school seniors as their struggles with sexuality and intolerance draw them into a triangle of love, betrayal, and ultimately, friendship.

This was a cute book. It wasn't one of the best gay themed books I've ever read, but it was okay. It didn't have the greatest plot, or characters, or anything, and it wasn't the most original book, but it left me with a warm feeling and I stayed up until 3 in the morning to finish it, so I guess it can't be that bad.

This is probably one of the first romance books I managed to sit through and like, too.

The characters were highly attachable, and absolutely lovable. I was sometimes annoyed by Jason, but the other two boys, Nelson and Kyle, were great. I especially loved Nelson and his over-the-top stereotypically gay behavior. They were well constructed and believable, and even the minor characters were well looked into and thought out. Their individual concerns were different and the same, and probably would be similar to mine if I were them.

The story-line, though not incredibly original, was cute and sad and funny. The love triangle thing has been done a thousand times over, but somehow, Alex Sanchez managed to make his book feel new and refreshing. The voice used by the author was also very appropriate, it wasn't too basic or too complex.

The plot had many twists and turns, making it relatively unpredictable, even though the basic story-line was quite simple, like I said previously. There are many cliffhangers left to be resolved, even now, after I finished the book. I MUST go back to the bookstore when I get some money and buy the second and third novels. I have to see how the little couples work out, and what is up with Nelson's health, and many other things. I simply cannot wait to read the next book.

Finally, the cover was perfectly appropriate, and gave me a clear image of all three of the protagonists. This was a nice addition to the descriptions provided in the book, because I often forget how the characters are supposed to look and decide on my own what they look like.

Overall, though this book wasn't the best, most original, number one book of the century, it is a very nice one, and I suggest it to everyone who hasn't read it. This book about the coming of age of three gay teens and how they see themselves is one of the best I've ever had the chance to read. Of course, keep your mind open while reading Rainbow boys!

-Aithen

Rainbow Boys by Alex Sanchez
Rating: 8,1/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

And now, the words are yours!